Are you planning to propose? Did you recently get engaged? This is a big step in life that should be celebrated by you and all of your family and friends. Marriage is a great thing. You also need to realize that not all marriages last, even the ones that seem to be doing so well. That's why you need to consider signing a prenuptial agreement. Here's how to determine if signing a prenup is the right step in Crystal Lake.
An excellent way to determine if a prenuptial agreement is right for you when getting married is to ask yourself some of the following questions:
- Do you own a business yourself or own part of a business?
- Do you own any property?
- Are you in possession of more than $50,000 in assets?
- Do you have more than one year of retirement benefits?
- Are you planning to attend school for an advanced degree?
- Is your income more than $100,000 per year?
- Do you enjoy profit sharing or stock options as employee benefits?
- Does your estate name anyone other than your spouse as beneficiaries?
If you answer yes to any of the questions listed above, you should absolutely sign one of these agreements to protect yourself. The legal document becomes even more important if you answered yes to multiple questions listed in this post. As you begin to prepare the document, you need to list all real estate properties, assets and everything else in your name.
It isn't too difficult to decide whether or not you should sign on the dotted line of a prenuptial agreement. You simply need to review this post and determine if you fit any of the circumstances in Illinois.
Source: Findlaw, "How to Determine if a Prenuptial Agreement is Right for You," accessed June 14, 2018