When One Parent Wants To Move Away

The Best Interest Of The Child

In all matters involving child custody, the court considers the best interests of the child. When a parent wishes to relocate far away or out of state, he or she must get permission from the court or ask for a modification of parenting time.

While parental relocation can happen in any family, it is especially common in military families. If a parent is deployed out of state or overseas, the custody agreement will need to reflect the reality of a military family. At Lavin & Parisi, Attorneys at Law, we have experience with relocation cases, including those involving military families. Illinois law changed recently and now you need either the other parent's persmisison or a court order to move 25 miles from your current residence with your child. There is a specific procedure to be followed to obtain such an order. Whether we work through mediation, negotiation or litigation, our lawyers can effectively argue your position. Please call our office at 815-261-4894 or contact us online to schedule a complementary initial consultation.

Weighing The Needs Of Children And Parents

Limited contact with one parent for long periods of time is typically not an ideal parenting situation. The court must carefully consider these parental relocation requests.

While moving away may be necessary for one parent, the relocation must be balanced with the needs of the child and other parent. Child custody is decided by what is in the best interest of the child, whether it is an initial determination or a modification. We can make your argument for or against the modification based on what is in your children's best interest

Talk To A Lawyer About A Relocation Request

To schedule a complementary consultation, please call 815-261-4894 or contact us online.