Determining Children's Best Interests

In Illinois, child custody is determined by what is in the best interest of the child. It is not unusual, however, for each parent to have different ideas of what is best for the child. Whether your case is fairly straightforward or encompasses complex issues, it is best to have a lawyer to protect your rights and your relationship with your child.

Our attorneys at Lavin & Parisi, Attorneys at Law, are prepared to help you through any type of custody case, whether you are part of a military family, heterosexual family or same-sex family. We will also represent you at custody mediation, explain the mediation process to you and prepare you to put your best foot forward. Mediation is mandatory in many counties for custody disputes. Please call our office at 815-261-4894 to schedule a complementary initial consultation, or send us an email.

Legal Vs. Physical Custody

Custody may be awarded as sole or joint legal custody, which refers to the decision-making authority each parent has. If parents have a joint parenting agreement, they have equal decision-making authority over the children. A parent with sole custody will be the only parent with the right to make decisions regarding health care, education, religion and other major aspects of the child's life.

The decision-making rights of each parent do not necessarily reflect who has physical custody of the children. Parents with joint legal custody may or may not spend equal time with the children. We can help you argue for the physical custody arrangements that are best for your family.

Grandparents' Rights

Grandparents and other third parties who wish to establish visitation or custody rights to children may do so in limited circumstances, such as when there is proof that a parent is violent, mentally ill, or engaged in criminal activity. Grandparents may also have rights to visitation when a child's parent is deceased.

Schedule An Appointment With A Lawyer

To schedule a complementary initial consultation, please call 815-261-4894 or contact us online.